|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Accession number||CAHC 2006.8|
|Caption||Bay View House - c. 1917|
Bay View House at the corner of Chestnut and Elm Street in Camden, Maine. Photo taken prior to 1917 when the hotel (renamed The Elms) was destroyed by fire. The S.H. Freeman livery stable is visible opposite, on Chestnut Street.
Four horse-drawn carriages are lined up in front of the hotel. A fifth is visible in the background on the left. Men are visible on the hotel's porch and in the doorway of the livery stable.
This photo was likely taken around 1900, perhaps slightly prior. S.H. Freeman is listed in the Maine Register in 1898 and 1899 as owning a livery stable in Camden. By 1900 he was no longer listed, though the livery stable remained, later owned by George Allen. The Camden post office is now located on the site of the stable.
|Collection||Barbara F. Dyer Collection|
|Catalog Number||CAHC 2006.8.30|
|Title||Bay View House|
|Place||Maine/ Knox County/ Camden|
|Print size||7.5" x 9.5"|
Bay View House